Monday, February 15, 2010

Working at Vimy Ridge

An individual’s drive to work is often characterized by a few red lights, a crowded street and weaving amongst tall office buildings. Ours however, is a quite a bit different. Each morning we meet in the centre of Arras for the 15 minute drive to Vimy Ridge. Along the way we encounter a few traffic circles followed by many fields and flat terrain. Every day we pass by an enormous German war cemetery containing over 10,000 black crosses which bear the names of 4 soldiers apiece. The countryside is lined by cemeteries of many nationalities where thousands upon thousands of men and women lay forever. The realities of war are ever-present in this country; around every bend lay a shocking reminder of the considerable devastation incurred by millions of people.
As we arrive at Vimy Ridge I am struck again by both the beauty and solemnity of the site. Each morning looks a little bit different; sometimes a soft dusting of snow sparkles across the scenery, sometimes the sun casts a beautiful hue of colours against the verdant green, and sometimes it is dark with a thick sheet of ubiquitous fog. The latter description of course, seems most suiting to such an environment which is scarred by craters and holes. Moreover, the majestic monument never ceases to capture our attention as an incredible and inspiring reminder of why we are here.
A typical day includes chatting with the locals who love to hear all about daily life in Canada, guiding school children (often British) around the site who think the Canadian accent is absolutely fascinating, and sharing with visitors the significance of Canada’s national war memorial in France.
I feel honoured to work here and to represent the youth of Canada, to interpret our history and to portray the immense sacrifice of thousands during WW1. Hoisting the Canadian flag each morning in this distant land is a memory that I will carry with me for the rest of my life. It's a unique feeling to be a part of something that happened so long ago, to commemorate people I never knew and to be so distant from the people whom were touched by these tragic events. Each day, as I conduct tours through the trenches and the tunnels, I try to picture the men who fought here, the horrific situations that they encountered and the families and friends they left behind. I feel that it is my responsibility to convey these messages to visitors so that the sacrifices and the memories of that valiant generation are never forgotten and so that we can learn from their example and always continue to strive towards peace in the world.

No comments: