Type 1 diabetes is a disease in which the pancreas does not function properly, and therefore inhibits the body’s ability to use food. The pancreas is responsible for producing insulin, and insulin is needed to break down the glucose (sugar) in the food we eat. When that doesn’t happen, the blood-sugar level is compromised, and when a blood-sugar level goes too high or too low a wide variety of complications ensue. An individual with type 1 diabetes is required to take several insulin injections a day, test their blood-sugar levels frequently, and maintain a strict diet and exercise regimen. It is especially challenging for children with the disease and significantly impacts their childhood.My dad was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at the age of 13 and fought it his entire life. He faced many struggles, but used them in order to raise awareness about the disease. He constantly searched for the newest technology and research in the field, and then educated people about his findings. He worked for years on a petition in order to get the costs of diabetic supplies and insulin pumps covered for children.
The year my dad passed away, he was awarded the “national volunteer of the year” by the Canadian Diabetes Association. My dad was one of the most determined individuals I have ever met. He always fought hard for what he believed in, and encouraged me to do the same. Every year, I participated in this walk with my dad, and I will continue to do so in his memory. This is an important organization that is dedicated to finding a cure for diabetes, and that is something I would love to see happen in my lifetime!
Please consider supporting me in this year’s walk. You can donate online (see link below), and I can assure you that every little bit goes a long way. Thank you!
http://jdrfca.donordrive.com/participant/annunziellokatrina

No comments:
Post a Comment