Sunday, May 9, 2010

At The End of a Journey

As I sit here, 30,000 feet above the earth, flying west towards home at the end of a four month journey, my heart is filled with emotions, my mind is brimming with fresh ideas and I have a new perspective on life. It’s cliché to say that this experience has changed me, but I suppose that’s inevitable. I’ve learnt a lot about myself and the way that I want to approach the rest of my life. Although, living in France definitely presented its’ challenges, I’m grateful for the opportunity that I shared with my incredible husband.

Travelling Europe hand in hand was one of the most wonderful things we’ve ever done. Throughout the four months, we travelled to 5 countries; France, Italy, Switzerland, Germany and Spain (6 for me, with the chance to visit Belgium on a couple of occasions!). We tried new foods, explored historical sites a plenty, visited museums, walked for hours and hours through bustling cities and quaint little towns and shared picnics in a variety of beautiful parks. We made some great friends and shared many laughs over rowdy card games and impromptu dance parties. We experienced a lifestyle that we never would have chosen, but it taught us that we are capable of more than we ever imagined (example – sleeping on an air mattress for 3 months!).

Through my job as an interpretive guide, I learned an incredible amount about Canadian culture, adopted a slight British accent, and conversed in my second language every day. I’ve met some incredible people that have inspired me to never stop learning and to aspire for great things in the world. I’ve learned to be more open-minded and to embrace the differences that make humanity unique.

Even though I’m sad to be writing the closing words to a chapter in my life, I have a lot to look forward to upon my return. In just a few hours, I’ll get to embrace my family that I’ve missed so much, meet my brand new nephew – Justin, and enjoy a delicious cup of Tim Horton’s coffee. Following a joyous return, the festivities begin for the week of my best friend’s wedding, which I have no doubt is going to be a beautiful event.

I can’t wait to set foot on Canadian soil once again, to re-establish our life, surrounded by friends and family and to move back into our spacious apartment in Waterloo. As this journey comes to an end, I will reflect on the impact that it’s had on my life and strive to be a better person because of the lessons I’ve learned. As one chapter closes, another one begins...

No comments: