Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Our first summer in the city

My husband and I both grew up in very small town Oro/Orillia with big back yards, near the lake. I loved living in the country as a girl, but as I got older, the city captured my attention. For the past 3 years, I've absolutely loved studying and living in Waterloo, but I'd always moved back home for the summer. So this year, our first summer as husband and wife, we take on the city - summer style! Although I definitely miss some of the country comforts from back home, living in the city is full of excitement and adventure. In fact, we've challenged ourselves to an entirely different approach to the way we live.

Our apartment is in a great location on the edge of town, but very close to some amazing paved trails which lead everywhere. This has encouraged us to make use of our bikes and roller blades, and use the car a lot less. Every day, I get at least a half an hour of exercise in the sun as I make my way to campus to go to the gym or to work. If the weather is unfavourable then public transit is always another reliable option. I love living so close to school, work, church, grocery stores, parks, restaurants, cafes, the library and entertainment, and I enjoy contributing to a more environmentally sustainable community. Waterloo also has a lot to offer in terms of cultural diversity. We live right around the corner from St. Jacobs Farmer's Market, are able to go out for Thai, Vietnamese, or Indian food (to name a few) and shop in Uptown Waterloo with a variety of local shops and unique cafes.

Summer in Waterloo has been wonderful so far and we look forward to all the discoveries we have yet to make.

No comments: