(December 29, 2009)
As I sit here, in Toronto airport next to the love of my life, I anticipate the adventure that we are about to embark upon. We are on our way to live in France, and travel in Europe for the next four months. Wearing our red Canada Olympic sweaters, we are proud to represent our home land.
However, what is even more special to me is the chain that I have around my neck. When I was 13, I sat in this very airport waiting to board a plane to France. My parents were sad to say goodbye to their little girl but very proud of my adventuresome spirit. Minutes before my departure, my dad gave me a small box that contained a beautiful silver necklace with a maple leaf pendant. He encouraged me to always live life to the fullest, to make the most of every opportunity and told me that I could achieve anthing I put my heard towards.
My dad influenced my life in so many ways, and I continue to learn things by looking back on the way he lived his life. He always fought for what he believed in, he was passionate and he loved to the depths of his heart. I will always cherish my maple leaf necklace, as it reminds me of who my dad was, and the important things he taught me. I really wish my dad was here today to say goodbye at the airport and wish me on my way, but I know that he's proud of me and I remember him today, tomorrow (his birthday), and forever.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
I love your post on the significance of your maple leaf necklace. It made me cry. Your Dad would be so proud of you. He would be telling everyone about your job at Vimy Ridge in France. He loved you so much. I am so proud of you honey and I love you with all my heart.
Love Mom
Post a Comment